- Leading and building teams to produce great software;
- Communicating and negotiating with stakeholders to optimise design and delivery;
- Designing maintainable, robust, performant systems to handle high transaction rates and large data volumes;
- Implementing sophisticated, high-availability, high-performance services and data stores;
- Delivering on time, to budget and to specification using Agile and related methodologies;
- Optimising server-side performance and security;
- Writing high-quality technical documentation.
June 2021 -
Growing a team of data engineers and analytical engineers to meet the challenges in a hyper-growth company.
Managing Partner / Principal Engineer,
November 2017 - May 2021
Co-founder of Chrysalis Analytics, a member of the Leap Beyond group, with responsibilities for management and direction, a as well as general continuing roles through Leap Beyond providing principal consultancy to our clients in the fields of digital transformation, data engineering, architecture, and security.
Senior Data Engineer,
Think Big Analytics,
January 2017 — November 2017
Data and engineering consultancy in banking, health care, telecommuncations and insurance.
Senior Software Engineer,
October 2015 — November 2016
Software engineering, system design and delivery design for high transaction rate, high security service providing on-line gaming.
Technical Design Authority,
February 2012 — October 2015
Design and implementation of internet-scale data collection and analytics in the mobile advertising space, building out the Lithient product for Somo
Transaction Network Services,
May 2010 — November 2011
High transaction, highly sensitive transaction processing in the card-not-present payment industry, with a responsibility for rapid defect and security risk rectification and overall product pipelines.
2003 — May 2010
High availability, large volume data processing systems related to bulk processing of business data, ranging from production of bulk print materials to scanning and OCR of documents on an industrial scale. Included the prototyping the first versions of the online assessment software for the NAPLAN initiative.
Database Administrator / Programmer,
Queensland Police Service (QPS),
1998 - 2003
Very large scale data conversion and cleansing activities, in addition to general database administration and design, for highly sensitive personal information in a security-focused environment.
Database Administrator / Programmer,
Qld Department of Natural Resources,
1995 — 1998
Database design and analysis against very large Ingres installations (IVAS, IVASe and LGIP projects). Creation of tools and procedures for performing maintenance, analysis and data conversion/cleansing against those large data sets
Pine Rivers Shire Council,
1989 — 1995
Responsible for design, implementation and maintenance of a broad range of local government administration and financial systems, initially using MUMPS, but in later years working in C and Ingres ABF. Responsible for creating and promoting standards and processes for the use of Ingres within the organisation.
Programmer / Technical Support,
Shannon Robertson Systems,
1988 — 1989
Development and support of MS-DOS based small business systems and support systems for the agricultural industry, including debtors/creditors systems, feedlot management products, and stock breeding/stock book programs designed to integrate with the ABRI Breedplan project.
Secondary School Teacher,
Mathematics and Science, Qld Department of Education,
1987 — 1987
Teaching mathematics and science at a junior high school level in a remote outback town. I maintain a professional interest in educational and didactic techniques, policies and trends.
- AWS, Azure, Wasabi, OpenShift
- Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible, Vagrant, IntelliJ, Netbeans, Eclipse, JBuilder, Xcode, Gradle, Spock, Maven, Ant
- Agile, Scrum, TDD, BDD, Kanban, Waterfall, OOD
- Version Control
- Git, Subversion, CodeCommit, Visual SourceSafe
- Hadoop, Spark, AWS EC2 and EMR, Spring, J2EE, JSF, Struts, Hibernate, EclipseLink, AWS SWF using Flow
- Apache, HTML/XHTML, CSS, JSP, XML, JSON, XSLT, XML Schema, XSL, Servlets, Web Services
- Application Servers
- Tomcat, JBoss, Glassfish, Jetty, Orion
- Operating Systems
- Linux (RHEL, Ubuntu, BSD, Debian), CentOS, MacOS, Windows, MS-DOS, HP-UX, Solaris, Xenix
- DynamoDB, Cassandra, Oracle, Postgres, MySql, SqlServer, Ingres, AWS RDS, xBase
- Java sockets (TCP, UDP), HTTP, JMS, SOAP, REST, JAX-WS, Axis
- Bachelor of Science (Mathematics, Physics, Instrumentation/Computing) Griffith University, 1983 — 1986
- Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary School, Mathematics/Science), Queensland University of Technology, 1985 — 1986
- Senior Certificate (990 TE score) Mitchelton State High School, 1979 — 1982
Available on request, or visit my profile on LinkedIn.